Lumbini Festival, Nagarjuna Sagar, Andhra Pradesh
|2023||To be announced|
|2024||To be announced|
Lumbini Festival is one of the major festivals in Andhra Pradesh, celebrated to commemorate Buddhism in the state. Organized by Andhra Pradesh Tourism Development Corporation, Lumbini Festival is an important festival to promote tourism in the state as well as to keep the heritage of Buddhism alive in the minds of the people. The festival is named after Lumbini, the place of birth of Gautam Buddha. Buddha’s teachings have always been practical in real life, which are revered and practiced by both Hindus and Buddhists in India. Lumbini festival is an annual festival that takes place at Nagarjuna Sagar Dam, which is located in Hyderabad in Andhra Pradesh in the month of December.
The event is celebrated for 3 days and it gives a wonderful opportunity from people of other parts of India to explore Buddha’s teachings, life and practices and carry back home an enriching experience. Nagarjuna Sagar sees a huge throng of tourists from India and abroad during Lumbini Festival. In fact, Lumbini Festival is considered as one of the best festival tours in India. Lumbini Festival 2023 dates are soon to be announced. Usually, the festival starts from the second Friday of December. Book your Lumbini Festival Tour to explore the beauty of the religion, to celebrate and emphasise the city’s past associated with Buddhism, the Buddhism heritage in the state.
Significance and History
The festival marks the importance of Buddhism in Andhra Pradesh. It is believed that about 2000 years back, Buddhism was the only religion followed by the people in the state. As per Historical reports, Andhra Pradesh has around 140 Buddhist sites. Lumbini festival is organized every year to keep the heritage of Buddha’s teachings intact in people’s lives.
Lumbini is a much-awaited Buddhist festival of the year, celebrated by both the Hindus and Buddhists not only of Andhra Pradesh, but all of India and many from abroad. The tourism department of Andhra Pradesh makes arrangements for hundreds of tourists and pilgrims that come here for this festival.
Major Attractions of Lumbini Festival, Nagarjuna Sagar, Andhra Pradesh
Although the Lumbini festival is to highlight the significance of Buddhism and celebrate the religion in the state, it cannot be considered as a religious festival. The main attractions of the festival are the Buddhist culture, tradition, crafts, arts and religion. Some of the highlights of the festival are as follows:
• On the festival ground, a number of cultural activities and shows are held which are enjoyed by both the young and the old.
• Exhibitions stalls are arranged which display local crafts and arts, with more focus on products associated with Buddhism. Local handicrafts are widely in demand during this time.
• Buddhist paintings and other age-old artefacts are displayed which depict the glory of Buddhism.
• The festival offers an opportunity for skilled artisans and artists, sculptors and painters to display their skills and their products, which is an important highlight of this festival. Visitors get to see the life of Buddha and his teachings in a creative form through their art.
• The pilgrims and the tourists can take part in the events and the preaching sessions. One can attend various sessions and sermons by Buddhist monks and learn and adopt some life-changing advice. Hymns, chants, meditation give a fruitful experience to the visitors.
Major Tourist Attractions
The 3-day festival gives a chance for tourists to explore the nearby areas as well. For instance, when you book for a Lumbini Festival, Nagarjuna Sagar Tour Package, make sure your tour operator includes not only the festival location but also other tourist areas nearby.
• The Nagarjuna Sagar dam area is itself a beautiful tourist attraction of the state. The arrangement of the Lumbini festival makes the area all the more beautiful.
• A major tourist attraction in Hyderabad is the Monolith Buddha Statue, considered to be the largest single rock statue of Buddha globally. This statue is erected right in the middle of the Hussain-Sagar lake.
• Another important tourist spot which people like to visit during the Lumbini Festival is the port of Visakhapatnam, where you can enjoy many activities related to art and craft, which are an essential part of special celebrations of the festival. Tourists visit the port to explore the art and culture of the region with interpretations of Buddha’s teachings. The city of Vishakhapatnam is also famous for the Lumbini celebrations.
• Apart from that, tourists can also explore other tourist spots like as Secunderabad, Kurnool and Tirupati while making a Tour to Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh for Lumbini festival celebrations.
Book Lumbini Festival Tour 2023 with the best inbound tour operator in India. Tour Operators in India offer various tour packages to make your tour to Nagarjunasugar, Hyderabad a memorable one during the Lumbini Festival. This is one of the best Buddhist festivals in India to experience once in your lifetime.