Kala Ghoda Arts Festival
|5th February -13th February
|To be Announced
Kala Ghoda Arts Festival is one of the prominent festivals celebrated in the historic Kala Ghoda District in Mumbai in the state of Maharashtra. The Kala Ghoda Arts Festival is an annual festival celebrated for a span of 9 days usually in the month of February. Since its inception in 1999, the festival has been celebrated on a grand scale and in today’s time, it has been considered as one of the best festival tours in India. The Kala Ghoda Arts Festival 2023 dates are from 5th February 2023 to 13th February 2023. From literary and social discussions, from book launches to movies and theatres, from workshops to music and dance, from visual art delights to handmade crafts, the festival offers an extravaganza of cultural delights which every tourist enjoys. It is one of the popular Traditional Festivals of Mumbai. Interested to enjoy the festival? Then book your Kala Ghoda Arts Festival Tour 2023 now.
Origin of the Kala Ghoda Arts Festival
The origin of the festival is associated with the formation of the Kala Ghoda Association in 1998. It was formed with an objective to maintain and preserve the art and heritage district of South Mumbai. The concept of celebrating it as a festival was incepted in 1999 and gradually it became an annual event, opening the gates for people all over India to come and attend the festival and enjoy. The popularity of the festival is now spreading in international destinations as well, and you see a good number of foreign tourists visiting the place during this time. Kala Ghoda is known to house museums, interesting galleries, beautiful boutiques, along with ancient architectural buildings. The name Kala Ghoda was taken after the black horse which Prince of Wales – King Edward VII used to ride. Infact, there was a huge black stone statue of King Edward VII riding a black horse or Kala Ghoda, which was later removed by the local authorities in 1965.
Tourist Attractions in Kala Ghoda
Once you visit Kala Ghoda for the Arts Festival, you cannot miss out significant tourist attractions which make your trip to Kala Ghoda Arts Festival a complete one. Kala Ghoda as a district has its own unique charm of being surrounded by some of the popular landmarks of the state such as Regal Circle at the South, Mumbai University in the North, the Lion Gate to the east and the Oval Maidan to the west. It is known for its rich architecture and heritage with a perfect blend of Neo-Gothic, Indo-Saracenic, and Neo-Classical styled structures and buildings. Some spectacular architectural wonders worth visiting are the David Sassoon Library, Jehangir Art Gallery, Elphinstone College, Bombay University, Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya (CSMVS), Prince of Wales Museum, and the Army and Navy buildings. In fact, the 9-day festival celebrations are organized at these beautiful tourist landmarks of the small town.
Celebrations of the Kala Ghoda Arts Festival
There is no entry fee for the festival. Everyone is welcome. This attracts a lot of local and foreign tourists to this festival. Throughout the 9 day celebrations, you can enjoy fun-filled programs of dance, music, workshops, comedy, and much more. If you want to be a part of Kala Ghoda Art Festival 2023, book your travel plan with the best inbound tour operators in India. It makes way for visitors to experience a huge variety of events which enrich India’s ancient culture.
• Dance : You will be delighted to watch various dance, from Indian classical and contemporary to international dance forms. The dance programs are performed by local and international artists in the Cross Maidan at Mahatma Gandhi Road, Churchgate.
• Food: Like in all festival celebrations, even Kala Ghoda Arts Festival display a plethora of local delicacies and distinct cuisines in the food stalls lined up at various locations.
• Children programs: The Kala Ghoda Arts Festival Mumbai Maharashtra is not limited to adults. Young and old, including children can enjoy various events. Kala Ghoda Arts Festival 2023 plans to organize 77 events specially meant for kids. From workshops, sports, skill activities, book reading to storytelling, all these events are going to take place at the Museum of Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya. The literature events will be held at Somaiya Bhavan and Kitab Khana.
• Theatre: A “Sangam” of Nuance Theater is another major attraction in Kala Ghoda Arts Festival. Tourists and theatre enthusiasts can enjoy different plays in various languages such as Hindi, English, Gujarati and Parsi. Horniman Circle Gardens, MC Ghia Hall and the National Gallery of Modern Art (NGMA) are converted into mini theatre during this time.
• Movies and Films : Along with plays and dramas, visitors also have a gala time watching Movies and documentary related events. Kala Ghoda Arts Festival 2023 plans to showcase movies of themes like LGBTQIA+, regional language movies and off-beat movies. There will also be acting workshops and discussions.
• Music: Music Concerts of different genre are not to be missed at all. Right from the Gen-z artists to other popular singers and musicians, it is a delight to see the musical performances at Cross Maidan and at the Asiatic Library Steps.
• Heritage Walks: If you are planning to attend Kala Ghoda Arts Festival, then don’t miss out the heritage walks, which take you to the historic areas within South Mumbai, giving you a chance to explore the rich cultural and architectural heritage of Mumbai.
• Literature: Book launches, book reading, story-telling, poetry sessions, discussions and debates with prominent authors are always an essential part of the festival, which is always a power-packed event and thoroughly enjoyed by voracious book readers.
• Stand Up Comedy: You also cannot miss out your comedy doses by established and up-coming comedians.
• Visual Arts: Innovative and artistic visual art installations are always significant attractions in Kala Ghoda Arts Festival. In every corner, you will come across such beautiful designs which make the place all the more attractive.
• Souvenirs and Gift Stalls : Local artisans and other small business owners put up their stalls on varied items right form garments and accessories to home decor and other items, etc.
Kala Ghoda Arts Festival has become the largest ethnic and multicultural festival of Mumbai city. It has grown to be big event in each passing year and has drawn the attention of people globally. Kala Ghoda Festival Tour offers a colourful spectrum of culture and tradition, music, literature, food and fun that is worth visiting once in your lifetime.
Want to join this festival?